Phoenix Aikido and Fitness Club
History of Aikido at the Phoenix
The Phoenix Aikido and Fitness Club has been in existence for more than 30 years, and in it's present location since 1975. Below is a brief history of the club.
- 1965: Tom Moss started Aikido with Pat Stratford.
- 1969: Pat Stratford affiliated with Tony Thielemans, Head of the Yama Arashi in Brussels.
- 1970: Tom, along with friends Ken Knapper, and Frank and Jim McCall, set up the 'Yoshin Ryu' club at Nicholas Chamberlain School in Bedworth. In the same year, Pat Stratford left Tony Thielemans.
- 1971: The club moved to the Foleshill Community Centre.
- 1972: The grading panel consisted of Pat Stratford and Brian Eustace.
- 1975: In the club moved to it's . present location
- 1994: The club joined the British Aikido Board.
- 1997: Dan gradings were held at the Phoenix Dojo for the first time. Previously all Dan grades were taken in Brussels.
Page Top of